- Best overall weight loss book: Embrace You
- Best weight loss cookbook: Fit Men Cook
- Best weight loss cookbook for athletes: Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.
- Best cookbook for meal prep: Skinnytaste Meal Prep
- Best intuitive eating book: Intuitive Eating
- Best book for healing your relationship with food: Anti-Diet
- Best mindful eating book: The Mindful Eating Workbook
- Best plant-based diet book: The Plant-Based Weight Loss Solution
- Best weight loss book with positive affirmations: 365 Days of Positive Self-Talk for Weight-Loss
- Best weight loss book for women: Fit Gurl: The Total-Body Turnaround Program
- Best weight loss book for women with PCOS: The PCOS Workbook
If you’re looking to lose weight, buying a weight loss book or cookbook can be a great place to start.
However, knowing which book to buy can be challenging.
While many books promise quick results by drastically cutting calories or restricting entire food groups, these diet plans are difficult to maintain and can foster negative relationships with food and your body.
Instead, we rounded up the best books that focus on sustainable and realistic approaches to weight loss.
Keep reading to see our picks of the 11 best weight loss books.
We rounded up the best weight loss books using the following criteria:
- Expert authors and contributors: We included books that are written by experts in their fields, including registered dietitians, medical doctors, and personal trainers.
- Realistic approaches to weight loss: We chose books that offer realistic, sustainable approaches rather than recommending drastic measures for weight loss and healthy eating.
- Reviews: The books on our list have mostly positive customer reviews.
- Vetting: The books included on our list have been vetted to ensure they align with Healthline’s brand integrity standards and approach to well-being. You can read more about our vetting process.
Best overall weight loss book
- Price: $$
- Author: Sylvia Gonsahn-Bollie, MD
Dr. Gonsahn-Bollie shares her own story of overcoming emotional eating, making “Embrace You” a relatable read.
She also acknowledges that everyone is different, which is why she believes weight loss strategies need to be individualized.
The author’s approach to weight loss involves compassion, self-love, and acceptance, as well as realistic tips and education on how to lose weight sustainably.
Each chapter has two main subtitles, “Release” and “Embrace,” that are designed to help you to let go of negative habits and thoughts and open yourself up to healthier behaviors and a positive mindset.
While the book is relatively new, reviews are positive overall, with readers appreciating the book’s practical and behavior-changing approach to wellness.
Best weight loss cookbook
- Price: $
- Author: Kevin Curry
- Why we like it: It provides more than 100 recipes with nutrition information, many of which you can cook fast.
Kevin Curry is a personal trainer and fitness influencer. He’s also the founder of FitMenCook — a brand that includes a YouTube channel, website, and app, all of which offer recipes and tips for healthy living.
Curry’s cookbook, “Fit Men Cook,” provides more than 100 recipes that are designed to be quick and easy to follow, many taking 40 minutes or less.
Each recipe also includes full nutrition information, which is useful if you’re counting calories or macros.
The book’s tagline says that all the recipes are meant to be “#HealthyAF, Never Boring,” proving that you don’t have to sacrifice flavor to eat more healthfully.
The cookbook has more than 2,000 mostly 5-star reviews online, with readers noting that they enjoy Curry’s fun and conversational tone.
Reviewers not only love the recipes but also appreciate that the book makes living a healthier lifestyle feel doable. Full Blog